Monday, May 23, 2011

Memory Lane

Writing yesterday's post about inclusion started me thinking about all the activities my kids were involved in, both in the community and within our family.  After all the troubled teen years, I sometimes forget the great times we had when the kids were younger.  So I dug out some of my favorite photos from our favorite places or events to share with you all.

One of my favorite destinations has long been Pedernales Falls State Park, and the surrounding Texas Hill Country.  Here the river runs over and around massive boulders, creating many small falls and pools.

Marcus, Jesse, and Gabriel at Pedernales Falls.
 After exploring the falls, we went to a quieter section of the river to wade and swim.

Hollis, Leslie, and Gabriel cool off in the river.
In nearby Johnson City are many attractions related to President Lyndon Johnson.  Near Johnson's boyhood home is the old Johnson farm.  There the kids were terrorized by this turkey, who, for some reason, was attracted to their wheelchairs.  (Note the look of terror on Hollis' and Cedric's faces.)

Attack of the Killer Turkeys!

Another favorite destination was Padre Island National Seashore on the Texas Gulf coast.  We made several trips there and always had a great time!

Cedric, Jesse, Marcus, Leslie, Gabriel, Hollis on the beach.

Marcus and Hollis

One of my favorite pictures of Leslie!
Closer to home, we frequently headed down to Glen Rose.  Sometimes we went to Fossil Rim Wildlife Refuge, where the kids enjoyed the petting zoo area.  I call this picture "Stubborn, meet Stubborn."

Leslie meets her match.

Usually, we headed to Dinosaur Valley State Park, to see the dino tracks in the riverbed, wade in the river, and have a picnic.
Misha and Hollis cool off in the Paluxy River.
I loved going to Burger's Lake in Fort Worth ever since I was a kid, and my kids loved it, too.  An old style"resort" dating back to the 1930s, the spring fed lake always feels so good on a blistering hot summer day!

Marcus and Jesse floating in their tubes.

I enjoy remembering these times.  I hope my kids do, too.

0 comments: