Thursday, May 19, 2011

Another year older, another year...

My birthday party in the back yard, circa 1960
So today is my 59th birthday!  I've already received so many well-wishes on Facebook.  Tonight the boys are taking me out to eat, with Marcus paying my way.  Gabriel gave me a new coffee mug, much needed after Tevis has accidentally broken most of my old ones.  And Tevis...well, bless Tevis' little pea-pickin' heart.  We went to Walmart to grocery shop and for the expressed purpose of Gabriel and Tevis each buying a mug.  Both picked one out and put them in the cart (the element of surprise was not high on their list).  Then Tevis said he was going to get wrapping paper, and I let him set off on this mission...maybe not such a great idea.  He was gone quite a while and then he returned with great excitement, with a big roll of wrapping paper and a bag, proclaiming that he had already paid for it.  I checked the bag and receipt...he had bought the wrapping paper, a Thank You card that played music, and a set of headphones for himself, all of which totaled $19.61. Since he had a $20 bill, that left him with a grand total of 39 cents, so he now had wrapping paper, but could not afford the gift that was to be wrapped in it!  Sort of a new twist on the Gift of the Magi, I guess.  As for the Thank You card, I didn't comment on that, but he later realized his error in not getting a birthday card.  Sweetly, and rather insightfully, he salvaged the moment:  "I got you a thank you card to thank you for doing so much for me."   Awwww....

0 comments: