Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Farewell, 2008!

As I look back on the year 2008, it would be easy to dwell on all the trials and tribulations. But since I’ve written at some length about the negatives, I’ll give you all a break and remember the good things that happened during the year.



Our second treeing walker coonhound, Boo, joined our family in March. Coming from a background of being abused and/or never being socialized in the first place, he has had a slow adjustment. He still cowers or slinks away when anyone enters the room, but has finally begun to approach me to be petted and will snuggle up next to me on the bed.


The election, of course, was a high point of the year. During the primary season, Texas actually was part of the process, for once, and the candidates made several appearances here. Gabriel and I went to Dallas for an Obama rally.

We watched election results at the rehab hospital with my mother, whose 90th birthday was on Election Day. We were all thrilled with the result.

I had hoped to be able to take the boys on a vacation this year, but with all our medical problems and expenses, it just didn’t work out. But we did have some fun times close to home:

A hike at Dinosaur Valley State Park…


The Main Street Arts Festival…


The Fort Worth Zoo.


Although my mother’s stroke was one of the storm clouds of the year, the silver lining was that I spent a lot of time with her and felt grateful that I could help her, give her support, and be her advocate.



And lastly, this confirmed dog lover fell in love with a stray cat, whom we named Mufasa. For several months he was our porch kitty and all of us, but especially Marcus, got very attached to him. About a month ago, I saw the body of an orange cat in the street a few blocks away, and feared the worst. Several weeks went by and we didn‘t see Mufasa, so I had to face the fact that the dead kitty must have been him. But then yesterday, I walked outside to go to work, and here came a cat walking down the street. At first I couldn’t believe it was Mufasa, but when I called his name, he came to me! We were so happy to have him back, safe and sound!


So, farewell to 2008 and welcome 2009. May the new year bring us health and happiness.

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

happy new year to you, too! May you have rest and peace this year.