Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day

Dad and Mother on their wedding day, 1937.
Mother and Dad were married 69 years.  They grew up during the Great Depression and married a few years before World War II.



Dad served in the Navy and worked for the US Government after the war, retiring at the age of 59.  He worked hard to provide for his family and to send my brothers and me to college.

Dad and I circa 1975.
This is one of the few photos I have of me with Dad, because he almost always was the one behind the camera.

Dad on the golf course in the early 1990s
This is really how I remember my dad the best.  After he retired, he played golf every day but Sunday, until back trouble made it impossible to play.

It was only in recent years that I really understood how much my parents had been shaped by the hardships of the Great Depression and World War II, and how much they sacrificed so that their children would have a better life.  I wish I had told Dad how much he meant to me, how much I appreciated all he had done for me. He died when he was 92, and it was almost as if he had lived so long, I thought he would live forever!



If your father is still living, never miss an opportunity to spend time with him and to tell him how much he means to you!

0 comments: