Sunday, May 03, 2009

Update: Ups and downs

Since I've been neglecting my blog for the last few months, I felt that I should give you all an update on Gabriel. When I last wrote about him in January, he had finally been hospitalized after all those months of being actively psychotic and non-functional. At that point the plan was to commit him to the state hospital. But once they had him back on Clozapine (the "gold standard" of antipsychotics), he rapidly improved. Within a week and a half, he was well enough that they were able to send him home from the local hospital. In fact, he's functioning quite well on half his previous dose. It's good to have him back.

On the downside, he spent last week in the hospital, because his blood glucose was sky high (875!). We've had to make considerable changes to our schedule and eating habits, and now he's on insulin injections, as well as oral medications. This crisis was a sobering one for me. I always worry about what will happen to Gabriel when I'm gone, and now this fear has increased exponentially. I know that if Gabriel doesn't have someone to care about him and supervise him closely, the path to life on the streets will be short, and that street life would be deadly for him, given his diabetes and his vulnerability.

I also feel what Martin Luther King called "the fierce urgency of now." I know that at some point Gabriel may not function as well as he does now, so I feel an urgent need to make his life as full as I can while he can enjoy it. So Marcus, Gabriel, and I are going to Colorado over Memorial Day weekend to a family camp at the National Sports Center for the Disabled in Winter Park. There are probably a lot of other things I should be spending my money on, but this urgency of now put the camp at the top of my priority list. Gabriel has never seen mountains and never been on an airplane, so I wanted him to have those experiences. In fact, we haven't taken a vacation in about 13 years. Now that I have the free time, I want to take the boys to see some new places and have some new experiences. We are very excited about the trip and I hope to post pictures and video when we get back.

1 comments:

said...

I do so hope you have an enjoyable, rewarding vacation Galen. Your dedication and love are phenomenal.